Japanese Association of Speech-Language-Hearing Therapists

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Are any jobs available in Japan with a foreign license in speech-language pathology/therapy or audiology?
  • Regardless of your nationality, you will not be able to offer services covered by Japanese national insurance unless you hold a Japanese license. You may be able to work in nonmedical institutions, but opportunities are rather limited at present. There are a few foreign-licensed professionals working in international schools in the Tokyo metropolitan area. These professionals are often members of the Association of Foreign SLPs and provide services as requested by the local foreign community. Contact Marsha Rosenberg, MA, CCC-SLP (email:marshaslp@gmail.com), the group’s coordinator, for more information.
  • Are there any services available in languages other than Japanese?
  • Some of our members are bilingual or proficient in foreign languages. You may therefore be able to find services in languages other than Japanese, depending on your location.
  • Can I use health insurance when I receive a service from a speech-language-hearing therapist?
  • Often, yes, but it depends on the hospital or clinic and on the type of insurance you hold. You should check with the medical institution before receiving any services.
  • Can I study speech-language pathology and audiology in Japan?
  • Yes, you can; currently, however, courses are available only in Japanese.